Common Questions About Freon
Ever think about how much easier life is with so many modern-day inventions? For instance, having a functional AC system makes life a whole lot more comfortable on hot, humid, summer days. People didn’t have that luxury back in the day, and they had to survive those days while wearing long pants, long skirts, and jackets! So when the AC system breaks down, it brings a great deal of inconvenience and discomfort. Through this article, homeowners can learn more about their AC systems and understand the role that freon plays in the modern AC unit.
What is Freon & What Role Does it Have in an AC System?
To describe freon in a few words, it is a cooling agent (known as a refrigerant) used in most air conditioning systems today. Refrigerants are needed to create the cool air that is circulated through the house, and freon acts as that agent.
If freon leaks, it can be very dangerous for a homeowner to try and fix it themselves. Freon is a lethal and toxic substance, and it could result in death simply to inhale the substance. If a freon leak is suspected, always contact an HVAC professional because they will have the proper safety equipment to handle the situation.
Depending on the severity of the leak and the damage done, the leak could be repaired by replacing an individual component of the AC system (for example, the coils). But in more severe cases of damage, it may require the installation of a new AC unit to resolve the problem.
HVAC Services for Freon Leaks
As earlier noted, freon leaks can be toxic to a person’s health, so any leaks or other issues with freon should only be handled by professionals. Freon leaks are pretty rare, but they do happen and can be caused by four main things:
- The AC unit was installed improperly
- The AC unit has defects from manufacturing
- The AC unit has been damaged
- The metal on the AC unit has eroded over time
If homeowners notice any damage to the unit, erosion of metal, or a foul odor when the AC is active, there could be a freon leak and an HVAC professional should be called immediately for help.
Avoid Future Leaks with Freon Maintenance
Some causes of freon leaks cannot be prevented by homeowners. For instance, if the AC had a factory defect, that is no fault of the homeowner. But it is the responsibility of the homeowner to notice when the AC unit isn’t functioning as it should. As for the other common causes of freon leaks, here’s how they can be avoided:
- Avoid improper installation: Research the HVAC professionals in the area thoroughly to make sure they will do a careful job when installing an AC unit. Check to see if they have a history of success, lifetime guarantees, and how long they’ve been in businesses. Searching for these answers can determine how qualified a professional is to do the job.
- Avoid AC damage: Always be mindful when mowing the lawn, weed whacking, or doing other yard work as it could damage the outdoor unit. It’s also important to inspect the unit after any major storm. If components are dented or damaged, it’s best to call in a professional to check it out and make sure there aren’t any leaks.
- Replace eroded metal: Homeowners should regularly inspect their AC units to take note of any erosion. When this starts to happen, it’s best to replace the eroded components to prevent a potential leak.
About Laney’s Inc.
Laney’s Inc. has been a full-service plumbing, HVAC, and electrical company with additional specializations in indoor air quality and water treatment for over 60 years. They can provide customized services and solutions that fit customers’ unique situations. No matter what the customer’s needs are, they can trust in the expertise of Laney’s Inc. technicians.